The late Alex H. Schmidt established Schmidt's Auto Body & Glass Inc, originally named Schmidt’s Auto Service, in 1927. Alex, an immigrant from Germany, decided to open up a small repair shop on the east side of Buffalo at Broadway and Sherman, shortly after his arrival to the U.S.
Alex and his wife had two sons—Alex G. Schmidt and Eric Schmidt. Alex G. Schmidt, the older of the two, took an interest in his father’s auto body repair shop. For several years, he worked in the shop as a painter, and during this time he observed and learned the day-to-day operations of how to operate an auto body repair facility.
A Second-Generation Business
In 1965, young Alex decided to take over his father's business, and moved it from the east side of Buffalo to the heart of downtown Buffalo at 740 Main Street (currently located at 555 Pearl Street). He didn't stop there, though. Over the next 30 years, he opened eight additional locations between Western New York and Florida.
It wasn’t until 1983 that he decided to DBA the Schmidt's Collision & Glass locations to his top managers. Any new locations that have opened since 2000, or are currently in the process of opening, are/will be DBAs.
1927 – Schmidt’s Auto Service is Established
1945-1975 – Automobile Repair, Mechanical, & Towing Services are Available
1975 – Glass Repair & Installation is Added to the Services Offered, Prompting the Change of the Company Name to Schmidt's Auto Body & Glass
1982 – Our Sister Company, RUSTOP Inc., is Established within All Company Locations